ibus-avro is the port of popular Avro Phonetic Bangla typing method to Linux. This software works as an Engine (plugin) of IBus and let users type in English and on-the-fly transliterate them phonetically to Bangla.
Notable features of Avro Keyboard and Bangla Spell Checker:
- Fully Unicode Compliant
- Efficient & Customizable
- Built-in Bangla Spell Checker
- Phonetic, Touch & Mouse based typing
- 100% compatibility with the current Avro Phonetic scheme.
- Support for preview window to see originally typed text right under the cursor.
- Dictionary support can predict and suggest phonetically similar words with correct spelling on the fly.
- Autocorrect support brings commonly used English words to Bangla (like, Facebook, download etc.) even with their original English spelling.
apt-get install git libibus-1.0-0 libibus-1.0-dev ibus automake autoconf gjs gir1.2-gjsdbus-1.0 gir1.2-ibus-1.0
For other linux distributions all it says that
“You’ll need all related build tools like automake, autoconf etc… and Latest IBus from git compiled with gobject-introspection support enabled.”
How to Install Avro Phonetic Keyboard in Debian or Kali Linux:
Install Standard packages: (removed gir1.2-gjsdbus-1.0 and added ibus-1.0)
apt-get install git ibus libibus-1.0-dev automake autoconf gjs gir1.2-ibus-1.0 ibus-1.0
Clone git packages and install it:
git clone git://github.com/sarim/ibus-avro.git cd ibus-avro aclocal && autoconf && automake --add-missing ./configure --prefix=/usr make install
P.S. Chowmein is not avail in my source list, but then again I try to avoid too many package installation at anytime to keep things simpler.
- Run IBus (Applications -> System Tools -> IBus) from Dash
- Open IBus Preferences from the top panel icon
- Go to Input method
- Select an input method -> Bengali -> Avro (ibus-avro)
- Now Click Add button to add Avro to the list (ibus-avro)
- Now restart IBus from the top panel icon (Right Click -> Restart)
- Now Press Ctrl+Space to toggle between English and Avro (Bengali)
Enjoy Avro Phonetic!
Hope that helps someone out there.