Here’s how to install Cinnamon 3.0 in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or 15.10
To install the Cinnamon 3.0 desktop environment in the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or Ubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf) operating system – though the latter will be supported by Canonical with software updates and security fixes for a couple of months, until July 2016 – you’ll need to add the following PPA (Personal Package Archive).
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:embrosyn/cinnamon
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install cinnamon
Once you’ve executed all the above-mentioned commands in the Terminal app, one by one hitting the Enter key after each one, and everything is successfully installed, you can enter the Cinnamon session. You can do that by logging out and choosing “Cinnamon” from the login screen, by clicking on the small Ubuntu logo located on the right side of the username.
That’s it, you can now enjoy the Cinnamon 3.0 desktop environment on your Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or Ubuntu 15.10 operating system. However, if you decide that Cinnamon is not for you, you’ll have to execute the following commands in the Terminal app to remove the Cinnamon 3.0 installation from your Ubuntu OS.
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:embrosyn/cinnamon
Here’s a quick overview of some of the changes in this new version:
- Window management improvements on tiling, mapping and unmapping windows, compositor’s window groups and tracking of full screen windows
- Improved out of the box touchpad support (edge-scrolling and two-finger-scrolling can now be configured independently and are both enabled by default)
- New accessibility and sound settings (both rewritten as native cinnamon-settings modules)
- Battery powered devices can be renamed
- Different favorite applications can now be set for plain-text, documents and source code files
- Panel launchers now include application actions
- Animation effects are now enabled by default on dialogs and menus
- Favorites and system options can now be disabled in the menu applet
- The photo-frame desklet now also scans subdirectories
- Improved support for GTK 3.20, Spotify 0.27, Viber